Cancer Biology Program Requirements & Standards
Prerequisites for Admission
- Minimum of a baccalaureate degree in biology, biochemistry, or related field
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.5/4.0 in most recent science-related degree
- GRE scores demonstrating an average of 60th percentile or better on the GRE revised General Test
- TOEFL iBT score of at least 100 or IELTS of at least 7 (international applicants only)
Equivalence of at least 6 credits at the 300–400 level with laboratory experience in at least two or more of the following areas:
- Cellular Biology
All or most of the didactic coursework is completed within the first two years.
- Predoctoral students must pass written and oral comprehensive qualifying exams.
- Publication of research papers in peer-reviewed journals as well as presentations at scientific conferences is expected.
- As part of the qualifying exams, students are expected to write and defend grants written in NIH format.
- Writing and successfully defending a dissertation.
For a detailed description of the requirements, please see the Path to Your PhD page on The Wistar Institute site.